SABR 47: Jim Bouton, Yogi Berra-themed panels to highlight New York City convention
We're excited to announce two of our featured panels for the SABR 47 convention this summer in New York City.
SABR 47 will be held June 28-July 2, 2017, at the Grand Hyatt New York. Discounted early registration rates are available now at SABR.org/convention. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
Our convention in New York City will include panels on two memorable and beloved Yankees greats.
The Jim Bouton: A Life in Baseball panel is expected to include:
- Jim Bouton, author of Ball Four and former major-league pitcher
- Paula Kurman, wife of Jim Bouton and a retired psychologist and professor
- Mark Armour, author of Jim Bouton's SABR biography and founding director of the BioProject
- Mitchell Nathanson, author of A People’s History of Baseball, God Almighty Hisself: The Life and Legacy of Dick Allen, and other books
- Marty Appel, author of Pinstripe Empire and former New York Yankees PR director
- Moderator: John Thorn, Official Historian for Major League Baseball
The It Ain't Over: The Legacy of Yogi Berra panel is expected to include:
- Lindsay Berra, MLB.com correspondent and the granddaughter of Yogi and Carmen Berra
- Harvey Araton, best-selling author of Driving Mr. Yogi: Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry and Baseball’s Greatest Gift and a New York Times reporter and columnist
- George Vecsey, best-selling author of Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game and a New York Times reporter and columnist
- Moderator: Dave Kaplan, former director of the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center
In addition, the SABR 47 convention will also include these special guests:
- Keith Olbermann, a longtime SABR member, author, and award-winning sports and political commentator, who will speak at the Baseball Cards Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- David S. Neft, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and the driving force behind Macmillan's The Baseball Encyclopedia, who will participate in a one-on-one interview with MLB Official Historian John Thorn at the Baseball Records Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Peter C. Bjarkman, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and expert on Cuban baseball history, will speak at the Latino Baseball Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Glenn Stout, this year's Larry Ritter Book Award winner for The Selling of the Babe, plans to accept his award at the Deadball Era Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Alain Usereau, French-language play-by-play broadcaster for RDS network in Canada, who will be interviewed by Chuck Hildebrandt during the Baseball and the Media Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
Please note: All speakers and events may be subject to change based on availability.
More details and the complete schedule will be announced in the coming months. Find more information on SABR 47 at SABR.org/convention.
This page was last updated April 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm MST.