SABR's Forbes Field Chapter will hold its next meeting from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 23, 2017, at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
Our special guest will be former Pirates pitcher Bob Walk. He is scheduled to speak at around 2:00 p.m.
We will also be hearing research presentations from:
- 9:00 a.m.: Chip Martin, "The Pittsburgh-Detroit Connection: The Pirates and the Wolverines"
- 9:45 a.m.: Ron Backer, "The Pittsburgh Pirates go to the Movies"
- 10:30 a.m.: Jeffrey Stephan, "The Southern Ohio Copperheads"
- 11:15 a.m.: Lois Thomson: "Why I prayed for Jerry Koosman to make it to the Hall of Fame"
- 1:00 p.m.: Doug Branson, "A tale of two cities: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia baseball from the 1960s to the 1980s"
- 1:30 p.m.: Robert Trumpbour, "Revisiting Forbes Field: A modern not quaint ballpark"
Following the meeting, we will be dedicating a new headstone for baseball Hall of Famer Pud Galvin at Calvary Cemetery, 718 Hazelwood Ave., Pittsburgh, at 4:00 p.m.. The dedication ceremony will feature a bio of Galvin, prepared by Chip Martin, as well as other baseball notables and members of the Galvin family. Twenty-six members of the family will be in attendance.
If you have any questions, please contact George Skornickel at firstname.lastname@example.org.